The Saskatoon Symphony Society has wrapped up its 88th season, its most successful ever, and as we head in to our new year we’re looking for passionate leaders to join our board of directors.
As Saskatoon’s oldest arts organization, we’re a charitable non-profit who are dedicated to enriching the quality of life to Saskatoon and Treaty 6 Territory through an array of programming of concerts, education, outreach, and events that highlight the remarkable asset of professional orchestral music. In May of 2019, the SSO retired its long-held deficit – a significant next step in the organization’s revitalization. The rapid growth over the last five seasons has been driven by a passionate for celebrating our community, presenting world-class concerts, and creating experiences that only the SSO can bring to the community.
Ahead of its fall AGM, the Saskatoon Symphony Society is looking for expressions of interest for open positions on the board of directors.
Call for Board Members
The Society’s Board of Directors supports the work of the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Board member responsibilities include:
1) Acting in a position of trust for the community and responsibility for the effective governance of the organization
2) Working in partnership with the Executive Director
3) Regular attendance at board meetings (five to six times per year) and related meetings
4) To make a serious commitment to participate actively in committee work
5) Staying informed about organizational matters and being prepared to contribute insight and innovation
6) Attending performances and other activities of the organization
7) Attending fundraising activities and making an annual donation commensurate with personal circumstances
8) Acting as an ambassador and advocate for the SSO across our community
Based on our current needs and succession planning, candidates will ideally be able to provide government relations, legal experience, and risk management experience.
The Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility, and we encourage applicants from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, including Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and persons across a spectrum of sexual orientation or gender identity. We care about the vitality of our art form, and we seek to better understand, reflect, engage and celebrate our diverse communities.
How to Apply
To learn more about the SSO Board of Directors or submit your application, email a brief letter of interest and resume Executive Director Mark Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 2nd, 2019.
Applicants will be vetted and contacted in early August.